As 2013 winds down we can take a moment to reflect and remember the ups and downs of this past year, including our favorite ads. The ads are rated based on number of shares, with 20th place earning over 700,000 and 1st place with over 4 million. Some of these are pretty predictable, while others may be a bit of a surprise for some of you (I was surprised by the #1 spot). So without further adieu, the countdown begins!
20. Sony Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video (nice dig at Xbox there. For those of you who are not gaming nerds, Microsoft had implemented–and later reversed–a new rule that required game owners to register their games to their Xbox One systems, thus eliminating any way for gamers to share or rent games from others. Kind of a crucial bit of information to be able to understand this ad)
19. Rockstar Grand Theft Auto V Official Gameplay Video (there’s some cursing and violence in this ad, but if you’re familiar with GTA you probably already knew that)
18. H&M “Short Film by Guy Ritchie Starring David Beckham” (I’m pretty sure David Beckham’s abs alone put this ad on the list)
17. Kmart “Show Your Joe” (pssst, I just wrote about this ad here if you’re craving more)
16. Three “The Pony” (very cute. Plus there’s an interactive website at the end. Always a good ad strategy)
15. Phonebloks “Phonebloks” (why hasn’t anyone thought of this already?! And in case you’re wondering, they did get enough votes. You can check it out here)
14. GoPro “Fireman Saves Kitten” (awww. Just…aww)
13. PooPourri “Girls Don’t Poop” (I can’t believe this is a real thing)
12. TrueMove “Giving” (because you did want to cry today, right?)
11. Neft Vodka “Biting Elbows” WARNING: This one is pretty graphic and violent, so watch at your own risk. (If you don’t watch it, you’re really not missing much, in my opinion)
10. Volvo Trucks “Epic Split feat. Van Damme” (after being released only a few days ago this ad is already to #10. I think that’s more impressive than the splits)
9. Ram Trucks “Farmer” (one of the most memorable Superbowl ads)
8. MGM/Carrie “Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise” (I would have been so ticked if I had been in that coffee shop. Don’t think this type of ad would have convinced me to go see the movie)
7. Pepsi Max “Test Drive” (I think the thumnail image of this guy says it all)
6. Budweiser “Brotherhood” (my favorite from the Superbowl)
5. Cornetto “Yalin-Keyfi Yolunda, Aski Sonunda” (I had never heard of this one before. I don’t think it’s as good as others on the list, but still pretty cute)
4. Kmart “Ship My Pants” (admit it, you laughed)
3. Evian “Baby & Me” (now if I go buy Evian water, I fully expect to see a breakdancing baby-version of myself. Don’t let me down, Evian)
2. Geico “HUMP DAAAAAAY” (My favorite ad of all time. No joke.)
1. Dove “Real Beauty Sketches”
I do have to admit that Dove’s #1 spot (by some 200,000 shares) was a bit of a surprise to me. I really like Dove’s ad, and it’s very inspiring (as most Dove ads are), but I guess I had assumed that the much buzzed-about Hump Day would prevail on top. I guess the idea of “shares” doesn’t include people’s “Guess. What. Day. It. Is.” type of sharing every Wednesday.
There were also several of these I had never seen before, and there were some that I thought should be here that weren’t. I was a little surprised that none of the Skype commercials were here, and I also expected the infamous GoDaddy Superbowl ad (this countdown was about shared ads, after all, not necessarily good ads).
Did your favorites make the cut? Were there any missing that you expected to see? I’d love to hear your thoughts!